7.06.2008

Why I'm Starting a Food Blog


food·ie
a person keenly interested in food, esp. in eating or cooking.
[Origin:
food + -ie, perh. in part extracted from junkie]


If you have ever spent any amount of time with me, it wouldn't take long before you realized my passion for cooking and food. I tend to be a passionate, ardent being with a zest for life and appreciation for God's creation of beautiful natural food. I love how food has endless possibilities for humans to make creative concoctions and medlies of flavors that are pleasing to all of our senses.

I became interested in cooking and entertaining at the age of 11 when I had to start cooking for my younger siblings while my parents were at work. Cooking was more of a necessity at that time to nourish our developing bodies. By college years, I often turned to cooking to help me channel my creative energies where my classes didn't provide me that outlet, not to mention that it was a great stress reliever! In medical school, cooking became a necessity again as I was living far from home. However, the cooking skills drew other classmates into my home who didn't know how to cook, and before I knew it, my food creations led to wonderful times of friendship, fellowship and bonding.

Today, cooking and food are a deep passion and true joy for me. I love to see food in its purest form, and appreciate the natural beauty of it.

I questioned why I love the world of food so much, but my historical accounts have pretty much summed it up here. Food nourishes us and sustains us. But it does so much more! Food also nourishes the soul. It evokes strong emotions in the human being----it takes us back to our past nostalgic memories, it helps us to gather and connect with others, it brings pleasure and joy to our family and friends (which is such a blessing when you're cooking for others), it helps us channel our creative energies into something productive, and it is something that all mankind can relate to to some degree, no matter where we happen to be in the world.

I wish I would have started a food blog earlier, but better late than never. This blog is a place where I can share my passions and ideas with my family and friends---and maybe a place where other foodie friends can be made. I have had countless discussions about food-related topics with friends, and living on both coasts of the country at different times of the year, I have many varied experiences of regional foods and ideas through my travels. I thought this would be a great forum to bring it ALL together. I encourage you to post your ideas, experiences, recipes and questions on my blogsite so that we can learn from one another. It doesn't matter what your level of cooking experience or expertise may be. I'm just an amateur myself, but I love to learn.

There is only one requirement for all of you---you must enjoy food!









No comments: