7.28.2008

Rainier Cherries

I still remember tasting my first Rainier cherry. It was 20 years ago, and my grandmother introduced me to them while I was visiting her in LA (of all places). I grew up in the Midwest and never saw a yellow cherry before. As if the color wasn't unique enough, the sweet unparalleled flavor made an even greater lasting impression on me.



Little did I know that I would eventually move to the state where Rainier cherries were born. They were cultivated in the late 1940's, and it's actually a hybrid cross between the classic Bing cherry and the Van cherry species. I find that fascinating considering that both the Bing and Van cherries are red in color. I had my first Van cherry a few weeks ago at the Seattle University farmer's market. Wow, Van's are sweeter than Bings. Imagine a Bing cherry with a deeper and sweeter flavor---that's a Van. If you ever come across Van's, be sure to try it.


But back to the Rainiers.

Doctor's Health Tip: One cup of Rainier cherries offers 3 grams of fiber, and a good dose of vitamin C.

Rainiers are available from mid-June to early August. They may cost a little more, but I figure that they're around for such a limited time, it's completely worth it. After all, I won't be able to consume them 11 months out of the year. So let yourself go, and get your fill this summer, the cherry season is almost over!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: